Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reason #522 Why I'm So Glad I Have a Mac

I love the Apple computers.  I think they design them well, and ship them out with software already on there (that works together seemlessy) to do most of what the average user wants to do with a computer.  I particularly appreciate their multimedia software, which creates incredible things but is definitely easy enough for a middle school student to master.

But here is today's story about what it so great to have a Mac.

Last night I was working on my laptop, and a warning came up saying that my battery power was almost up and to save my work.  However, I was plugged in.  I hadn't noticed that the charging unit was not lighting up, which meant that the computer was not getting the energy it needed.

So I went through the process defined as "insanity" in the real world, but is standard operating procedure for computers:  I kept trying the same thing and expecting a different result.  I unplugged and replugged both ends, then did it again, rebooted, jiggled and jostled, and eventually the light came on, so I kept working on it for a couple of hours (but to moving around a lot for fear another position might lose the power again).

The next morning, around 10:00 AM, I turned  on the computer, connected it to the charger unit, and--nothing coming from the charger.  This time, I went through my troubleshooting sequence to figure out the problem--but to no avail.

So I logged on, and by 10:30 I had an appointment that afternoon at 12:15 at the closest Apple store's Genius Bar (Apple's term for technical support).  I was there a little before 12:15 and by 12:30, I was walking out of the store with my laptop and my brand-new recharging apparatus (and for free, too, because the old one was still under warranty).  So in under three hours, I got the answers I needed and the problem was solved.  Plus, I wasn't the only one; while I was waiting, I saw one guy come in with an iPod that needed something done (which they fixed, another walk out with a virgin iPad because the batter on the one he bought on opening day was having a problem with its batter, another woman whose machine wouldn't boot up until the Apple Genius worked his magic, etc.

The point is, when you have a problem, you can arrange to go see a real, life person, find out what the problem really is, and get it resolved, usually pretty immediately.  As much as I depend on the computer, both in my homeschooling and in my everyday life, I would hate having to spend weeks mailing off parts and waiting to hear what the problem is.  That convenience of having someone to talk to and/or deal with these problems is just so wonderful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment