Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Most Unique Mother's Day Gift

Happy Mother's Day to All!  I'm sure many of the readers of this blog are mothers, so I hope you are being celebrated by your family as royally as you deserve to be!  And, of course, I hope we are all honoring our own mothers and other women that have nurtured us to become who we are today.

My son and husband have been sweet to me today, so I've been having a lovely holiday.  But I have to share one of the presents my son gave me for Mother's Day.

Several days ago, as I was heading out on a rare solo outing to my allergist or something, my son asked me if the shirts in the drawer still fit me.  I wasn't paying that much attention because I was focused on getting together the stuff I needed to bring, but I assured him to leave them alone because they did fit.  The thing is, my son likes to wear big, baggy clothes, so he is always trying to steal shirts from me, my husband, and even his size XXXXL grandfather.  So I was mainly concerned that he wasn't going to abscond with one of the shirts that I like to wear.

What he did, however, was to take one of my shirts and decorate it with a Sharpie.  Here is what he wrote first:



















Below that, he wrote a huge mind map of some of his favorite topics:



















I thought it was such a sweet, cute, and funny present.  Definitely one of a kind--just like him!

He also did a small picture for me in art class, and bought a hand-made ceramic pot from one of the artists we visited on Friday on our First Friday gallery hop in Raleigh (which I've written about before).

We are going out soon for a meal at an Indian restaurant, which we've done for the past several Mother's Days.   But this shirt, which expresses in such a comic but profound way his understanding of himself and his appreciation of our relationship and the joys and challenges it can present, will make this Mother's Day that will stick out for me.  What greater gift could a mother get from a 12 year old boy than something like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment