Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy ValenSLIMES DAY 2012!

It's been a lovely Valentines Day this year.

We woke up to the announcement of the winner of the Great Sea Slug Beauty Contest, which just happened to be the nominee from my son--that is, Chromodoris kuniei!



















Photography by Steve Childs used under Creative Commons license, via Healing Oceans Together.
Admission--The "Happy Valenslimes Day" was created by my son in honor of the aforementioned nudibranchs this year.


Then there was such a sweet Google Doodle in honor of Valentines Day:



The buzz in the blogosphere was over the scene at the end that showed two tuxedoed men as Valentines, but with our undersea orientation, we were more enraptured withe the spaceman and the octopus (I think it was supposed to be an alien, but we LOVE our cephapods):



Then tonight, my son and I fixed a special Valentines meal.  He made the dessert--sea slug-inspired chocolate truffles (do you think the whole sea slug thing has gone to our heads?)--and helped me make some homemade reddish tomato pasta.  I made some beef stroganoff to serve over it, along with sauteed asparagus and fresh red peppers (with olive and garlic antipasto to begin the meal).

All in all, perhaps not a traditional Valentines Day, but a lovely one.

No comments:

Post a Comment