Thursday, December 1, 2011

Match Your Writing Style to Famous Authors

So our glorious adventure of NaNoWriMo has come to an end!  I really enjoyed the experience, but it was intense.  Today is the first day in a month that I haven't written some of, or even thought about, the contents of my great American novel.  Instead, I developed a Survey Monkey poll, worked on a website, played around with designing a logo, drafted a promotional email for an upcoming event, and trying to figure out how to create an email sign-up list for a big project we're doing.  Oh, and of course, made sure we did science, art, PE, math, writing, and Spanish today.  You know, just the ordinary day in the life of a non-NaNoWriMo homeschooler....

But one last thing that I wanted to share about NaNoWriMo (which if you aren't into, you are probably sick of hearing about by now) is this fun website I found.  It is called I Write Like, and it analyzes any text you've written and input to the site and tells you what author your writing style is similar to.  It looks at word choices and sentence structure and such to figure it out.

So, of course, last night I put my entire novel into the Analyzer and discovered that, according to this website, ....


I write like
Isaac Asimov
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!


It has been so long since I've read any Asimov that I don't know if I think that is true or not (and, of course, even thinking of any comparison is an insult to him).  But whatever the website does, it does it pretty consistently, because I put various blog posts and some other writing in as well, and Asimov came up pretty often.  And when I put some of my son's posts or other writing it, he gets totally different authors than I do.

I think it could be a great thing to use with middle schoolers and high schoolers.  Because once the program tells them they write like whoever, that's a great incentive to get them to read some of that person's books and analyze on their own any similarities or differences.

So I don't know how legitimate it is, but it is fun to try.   Click here to check it out.  Add what famous author your writing style compares to in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment